Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to questions we receive

Can EST 440 and EST 441 be taken together?

No, these two courses constitute the Senior Project and need to be taken back to back.

When should I take EST 440?

EST 440 should be taken in the first semester of your senior year.

Do all of the professors come from USA in SUNY Korea?

No, not necessarily. There is actually one misconception about SUNY Korea that since it is an American school, all of the professors come from United States. Professors actually come from different parts of the world including US and Korean professors.

I am going to apply for SUNY Korea, DTS department but I have had a different major at my previous university. Will I be able to apply for this department as a transfer student?

Yes, you will. You can apply to DTS (or any other departments) irrespective of your major at your previous university.

Is taking Korean classes a requirement for International students?

You do not have to take Korean classes as an international student.

Is Korean language use a requirement for international students, and can I catch up with classes even if I do not have any knowledge of the Korean language?

As an international student, you do not have to have any command of Korean to study here at SUNY Korea as you will be in an English environment. All of the classes you will be taking here are taught in English, unless you voluntarily take Korean language classes as an elective.

What is recommended for students struggling in academic and/or personal life?

SUNY Korea professors are quite open to those who seek help because of the difficulties they have in catching up with other students. Students have opportunity to have individual meetings with professors during their office hours and meetings can be arranged out of office hours providing professors have time. Meetings during office hours and beyond is not the only option not the only option for students to get help from professors, they can even visit the help desks where they find answers to their questions. Teaching assistants are also another source of help students can rely on. In addition to this all, students with personal issues and/or and problems that they cannot get resolved with professors can consult the coordinator.

Do any of Stony Brook professors give lectures at SUNY Korea?

Yes, SUNY Korea hosts guest lecturers from SBU as well.

What is the difference between SUNY, Stony Brook University, and SUNY Korea?

SUNY (abbreviation of 'State University of New York') is a wide network system of tax supported New York State Universities. Stony Brook University (SUNY - Stony Brook) is one of the Universities in this New York system. "SUNY Korea" or SUNY Korea LLC is the wider group-campus in South Korea that manages all or any branches of the New York SUNY system that want to establish themselves in Korea as well. Stony Brook University came first to SUNY Korea. Next came the New York City-based Fashion Institute of Technology (SUNY - FIT). In the future, more branches of the SUNY system want to come to SUNY Korea as well.

What if my English level is not enough to become a full-time student at SUNY Korea?

If an applicant does not have a sufficient level of English, they cannot matriculate as a regular student until they do. We help applicants get that English skill. To get accepted as a regular student, applicants should take certain number of the English Language courses offered by IEC (Intensive English Center) depending on the result of Placement Examination.

What would be the requirements of transferring to Department of Technology & Society (DTS)?

If a student from another department wants to transfer to DTS, they will be required to complete Major and Minor entry requirements as follows: Major: completed AMS 161 and the second course in a natural science sequence, or their equivalents ; earned a cumulative grade point average of 2.50; and completed course evaluations for all transferred courses that are to be used to meet requirements of the major. Minor: at any time during the academic year by contacting the coordinator of our department via email.

Being a TSM student at SUNY Korea, I cannot take courses of other majors such as Computer Science (CS) and/or Mechanical Engineering Department (MEC), can I?

You can take courses from other departments to fulfill the specialization requirement of TSM. You will have to take a cluster of seven related courses, totaling at least 21 credits, in one area of natural science, engineering, applied science, or environmental studies from a single department or program. At least three courses, totaling at least nine credits, must be at the 300 or 400 level, or equivalent as approved by the undergraduate program director/advisor.

How do I transfer credits to SUNY Korea (Stony Brook University)?

The Undergraduate Transfer Office maintains and publishes a list of courses from other institutions that are deemed equivalent to Stony Brook courses. Transfer students must fill out the appropriate forms at the Undergraduate Transfer Office in order for their transfer credits appear in their official record. For courses that are not on the list, students should fill out a transfer credit evaluation form in CEAS Undergraduate Student Office. The form will be sent out for transfer credit evaluation to the department that a potentially equivalently course is offered.

Will I become an Engineer of some kind after completing this four-year program at SUNY Korea?

No, students who will finish this program offered by the Department of Technology and Society will not become engineers. Should your plans be becoming an Engineer of some kind, you need to specialize in your intended Engineering major.

As a TSM student, will I have to take AMS 301 and AMS 310 calculus classes to complete degree requirements?

No, these two classes are required for Computer Science department students only. TSM students are to be finish up to AMS 161 to fulfill math requirement of the department.

Is Physics a must for TSM students?

It is not necessarily a must, but TSM students are to satisfy TSM natural science requirements by taking one of the following sequence: PHY 131(Classical Physics 1) and PHY 133 (Classical Physics1 Laboratory) together, following this, PHY 132(Classical Physics 2) and PHY 134  (Classical Physics 2 Laboratory) together. To fulfill natural science requirements, you can take BIO 201 Principles of Biology: Organisms to Ecosystems and one of the following: Geo 101 Environmental Geology, MAR 104 Oceanography, ATM 102 Weather and Climate, ENS 101 prospects for Planet Earth.

What Cumulative GPA will I be asked to maintain to be in good academic standing?

Students are expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to be in good academic standing.

Will the degree I get be the same degree as students at SBU in New York?

Yes, the degree you receive will be from Stony Brook University in New York.

What kind of jobs do TSM majors graduating from Stony Brook get?

The major prepares students for careers in government, industry, or education – in positions such as quality control specialist, systems or environmental analyst, technical sales representative, or technology trainer/educator – in short, all professions and business ventures that are dependent on technological applications and implementation and in which project management is key to success. Students are also prepared for advanced study in such areas as business, law, education, policy analysis, and industrial or environmental management.

What is Technology and Society?

The Department of Technology and Society (DTS) is one of eight departments in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences at Stony Brook University. DTS applies concepts and tools drawn from natural sciences, engineering, and social sciences to examine and enhance the relationship between technology and our society, both regionally and globally. These concepts include systems theory, methods and tools for decision making, and science-technology-society (STS) frameworks. In step with the SUNY 2020 initiative to scale the intellectual capacity of the academic community, DTS is deepening its points of focus to center on energy-environmental systems, and engineering & technology workforce policy. DTS at SUNY Korea has two other specializations that it has pioneered: Information Technology for Sustainable Development (ICT4SD) and Technological Management in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).

What are my choices for minoring?

Basically, there are three choices which means you can choose from Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, or AMS (Advanced Math and Statistics) for an added minor. For further inquiries about minoring, please email the Coordinator of the Department.

Does curriculum in SUNY Korea differ from the one in Stony Brook?

No, the design and delivery of Stony Brook University programs at SUNY Korea are the same as Stony Brook University in New York.

Can't find what you are looking for? Get in touch with us →